Have you ever driven along one of our city’s busy roads and spied a tiny cemetery concealed amidst a modern subdivision? Plausibly oddly out of whack, have you ever wondered why a graveyard was located there? Such is the case of Switzer’s Cemetery ( AKA Eden Cemetery ). It is the last visible memory-jogger of a ground breaker settlement called Lisgar and of the pioneers that once called this corner of Mississauga home. This schoolhouse also served as the local meeting place and church hall. In 1823, the burgeoning pioneer crossroads added a little log schoolhouse on what was Samuel Switzer’s farm. Shortly it became apparent the tiny college couldn’t hold the congregation, so meetings were held out of doors by torchlight.
In 1824, John Switzer sold a portion of his land to the new congregation for the establishment of a church and graveyard. The congregation went on to build a little frame church solely to the back of the surviving graveyard. This little church was replaced by a larger structure on the same site. The Marshall family later bought the building and they changed the name of the bar to “The Dewdrop Inn”. The growing community was also dubbed “Switzer’s Corners”. Also close by was a blacksmith shop, and in 1878, a train station was located on the C.P.R. Samuel Alexander operated a small store on the southwest corner of the modern crossing of Winston Churchill and Derry Road. Line, just to the north on the town Line.
In 1868, Isaac Waite donated a parcel of land on the northerly side of Derry Road, directly opposite from the graveyard for the construction of a new church the site is indicated by a fenced yard on the northeast corner of Derry and Copenhagen Roads. The new red brick school, S.S. The highschool served the community for 73 years, holding its last class in 1960.
But, as with a great many lead runner communities, the illustriousness of Lisgar soon began to decline, and one at a time, indications of the hamlet began to vanish. The old Dewdrop Inn burned in 1961 and wasn’t replaced. Station closed at once later, its actual location lost. For many years, the old Eden School sat vacant and neglected till time and vandalism caught up with it. It was demolished in 1992. Switzer’s ( Eden ) Graveyard and the Kindree Family Graveyard ( where the Sixteen Mile Creek crosses Derry Road ) remain historical markers for the tiny village, while the new Eden United Church, at Winston Churchill Boulevard and Battleford Road was opened in 1987 and homes one of the oldest congregations in our area. They are the names of individuals that have stories to tell and that should be remembered.